July 16th, 2009 at 7:14am |
- So I had to do summer volunteer work for school (required as a graduation requirement and sadly prevented me from getting a job) and as such I decided to do it at Goodwill. You know, that one place that they sell all the used stuff that’s like one giant flea market all the time (though I totally prefer the flea market).
- I chose it randomly, and though I might have found working at the animal shelter more fulfilling, I definitely had a lot of fun at goodwill for three not so bad reasons:
- Its like reverse shopping
- You get to meet the nicest convicts
- Slightly creepy Hispanic customers will hit on you and follow you around as you hang up clothes (but that might just be me…)
- And now I shall elaborate. Because every good english teacher will make you otherwise you are making unsupported claims or something and then they grade you lower. At ant rate:
- Reason One: Its like reverse shopping. Yes. It is. When volunteering at this fine institution you will learn that you are totally able to reverse shop. Because your main duties are hanging up clothes, putting them on racks, and taking those clothes off of racks to put onto other racks, you will have plenty of time to browse. Since you are a volunteer though and as such are temporarily working there, you will not be able to buy these things. However, someone else can and you can pay these people back. If you do your work too fast, then they attempt to make work for you to do, and its usually more stupid and boring that the normal work that you are doing in the first place. Because of all this, if working at Goodwill, I suggest strongly that you work slowly. But not too slowly, because then they’ll complain. If you work too fast, you will have nothing to do except sleep in the changing rooms *(which I totally did for the last 3 hours of a shift in which I did all of the work that they had for me to do and then some lol). At any rate this is one of the things that you will learn.
- Reason two: You get to meet the nicest convicts. This is also a true statement. Usually these are the harmless ones, or the ones that did too much fighting, so they are nice conversationalists if you don’t piss them off. Its fun. I had the nicest conversation about cookies with one lady who beat another lady into the hospital. Slightly scary, and had too much attitude, but not a bad lady, just really fucking scary.
- Lastly Reason Three: You get hit on. This is self explanatory, there was this one time when I was shelving clothes and a cure hispanic boy started hitting on me and following me around smiling and such. It was kinda creepy, but altogether very flattering and made my day.
- Needless to say I didn’t take a lunch break so that they wouldn’t kill me. lol.In conclusion, Goodwill is a good place to work. And they appreciate you. and if they don’t then hide the clothes that you like and then steal them or something. Well maybe not that. Otherwise its court ordered Goodwill for you!
- ~Eurah Stalkherr
Posted in Posted by Minh-y